Since I encouraged Zhao to post a video of himself demonstrating Lian Bu, I thought it might be fun to post a video clip of myself. The video was taken at the 2003 UC Berkeley tournament a little over two years ago. I also have a few other competition clips that I might post.
I actually feel slightly embarrassed by this clip since I can see a number of things wrong with it (I only had 3 years experience at the time, you know?), but it's the best one I have. Dan Chisholm took a more recent one of me, but he only caught the second half of the form. In that clip, my moves are more correct, but a bit slower. Interesting.
I know this one is hard to discuss since most people don't know #5... #6 or Tan Tuy would be better. I'll try to get more footage of my sets to post here in the future.
Click here to watch me demonstrate #5 (avi file)
It's a big file. You will probably want to resize it at least to the second highest setting because I go off-screen on the smaller sizes.
Here's the site I used to host the video:
As a bonus, here are the movement names for #5 (I got them from my older classmate Gene Ching, who got them from our Sifu):
MO I: SHAOLIN #5 (Martial art)
1. Old crow spreads its wings.
2. Second brother carries the mountain.
3. Facing fists, flower hand with single hook.
4. "Crossed" character kick.
5. Fierce tiger comes out of the mountain.
6. Grabbing arm, straight punch.
7. Stomp the ground in anger, pull the green onion, strike to the face.
8. Left turn, left heel kick, right toe kick, sitting in horse, striking the tiger technique.
9. Swing up, step forward, punch, continue for three movements.
10. Turn around, stomp the ground in anger, pull the green onion, strike to the face.
11. Left right punching, step backward.
12. Break the grip, reverse bow and arrow, fishing pole technique.
13. Roll around body, hook hand, palm strike to the face.
14. Turn around, lift and circle arms, left heel kick.
15. Grabbing arm, straight punch.
16. Left and right single toe kick.
17. Double kick.
18. Back hook kick.
19. Tornado kick.
20. Stomp the ground in anger, pull the green onion, strike to the face.
21. Facing behind, left heel kick.
22. Grabbing arm, straight punch.
23. Stomp the ground in anger, pull the green onion, strike to the face.
24. Flying hop up, reverse bow and arrow, block and punch.
25. Stealing a step, lift and circle arms, right heel kick.
26. Arm pull, hook kick to take down.
27. Shaking the foot, hands playing pipa (a Chinese guitar)
28. Right slap, left kick, land, double palm strike.
29. Left foot back broom sweep.
30. Grabbing arm, straight punch.
31. Right "crossed" character kick.
32. Stomping foot, falling on the hands, back heel kick.
33. Grabbing arm, straight punch.
34. Right "crossed" character kick.
35. Turn around, crossing footwork, block and strike.
36. Double down block with binding fists, reverse bow and arrow.
37. Left bow and arrow, block and punch.
38. Binding fist, feint kick, true kick, front and back punch.
39. Turn around, hammer fist, left cat.
40. Spin around, left heel kick.
41. Left and right forward steps, sitting in horse, block and punch.
42. Spin around, flower hand, twist stance, front palm, back hook.
43. Step backward, facing fists, left cat stance.
44. Step backward, penetrating palm, finish form.
Avoid dogmatism in anything. Be open to the possiblity that what you were taught or what you think may, in fact, be completely wrong.